PDA

View Full Version : CYP sensor ( code 9 )

90blackcrx
02-01-2006, 06:06 PM
I had an engine swap that I did for a customer and it was tossing a code 9 which is the cyp sensor. My question is if I use a distributor with a cyp built into it, can I ditch the cyp sensor on the exhaust cam ?

By the way, timing is dead on, wiring is dead on.

CRXninja
02-01-2006, 08:19 PM
the distributors that have the CYL sensor inside are obd-1, so you would have to convert to obd-1. did you do the impedance test to check if the sensor itself is bad?

1. unplug the connector from the sensor. there should be 700-1000 ohms of resistance between the 2 terminals on the sensor. if not, the sensor is bad. if the resistance is good, then go to the next step.

2. check for continuity to chassis ground on the sensor's two terminals seperately (i.e. zero resistance or close to it). if there is continuity, the sensor is bad. otherwise, go to step 3.

3. reconnect the plug on the sensor. then unplug the harness where it goes into the ecu and check the resistance between C1 and C2. there should be 700-1000 ohms. if not, then you either have an open circuit in the either of the wires that needs to be repaired.

jlicrx
02-01-2006, 08:55 PM
I had an engine swap that I did for a customer and it was tossing a code 9 which is the cyp sensor. My question is if I use a distributor with a cyp built into it, can I ditch the cyp sensor on the exhaust cam ?

By the way, timing is dead on, wiring is dead on.
camshafts out of time will cause code 9 - CYL sensor rarely goes bad - i would check the exhaust camshaft - sounds like it is one tooth off

90blackcrx
02-01-2006, 09:49 PM
camshafts out of time will cause code 9 - CYL sensor rarely goes bad - i would check the exhaust camshaft - sounds like it is one tooth off

Timing is dead on, checked it twice

crxninja

1. Checked for resistance, it was 1047 so I thought it was bad. Go out the next morning, rechecked and it was 800.

2. I checked each terimal on the sensor for ohms, each terminal had resistance

3. I checked my wiring, there was resistance in the wire. One side has .40 other side had about 800. I redid the wiring since to double check my work.

On another note, I checked for ohms when the engine was on. I checked the sensor. It would read, then be out of limit, then read, then out of limit.

The ecu is good, and the wiring is in fact good. I can unplug the cyp sensor and no effects take place. But if I switch the wires around, the engine will die.

the distributors that have the CYL sensor inside are obd-1, so you would have to convert to obd-1. did you do the impedance test to check if the sensor itself is bad?

You postive on that ?

Got this from a site

Code 9 - No. 1 Cylinder Position Sensor

It's the third sensor in the dist., and it detects the position of the No. 1 Cylinder, as the base for the Sequential Injection. It can also be located on the camshaft of DOHC engines.

CYP sensor is mounted on the exhaust cam on the ZC.

If the dist. base bearing starts failing, it will heat the sensor(s) up, destroying the magnetism thus causing a code(s). It will lose 10% of it's strenght, each time it is heated up to 170 degrees plus.

In most cases, replacing the distributor is the only alternative. Especially if the bearing has failed.
Honda does don't stock the bearing by itself, but other after-market compaines are said to have one.

If you have problems starting the engine, or drivability after the install check your cam aligment. The seizing bearing might have caused it to jump a tooth/notch or two. From the extra drag due to the bearing failing.

midnight_rex
02-02-2006, 12:37 AM
check the inside of the plug. make sure that none of the pins are bent out of shape. thats what was causing my code 9 to show up. there may be one of the pins from the cyl sensor that are bent and not touching one of the wires that it connects to. make sure that the pins are all pushed in.

Niftythang
02-02-2006, 08:36 AM
You postive on that ?

He is correct, if you are questioning the OBD-1 cylinder sensor.
Look at this old thread. It explains (with pictures) the difference between OBD-0 and OBD-2 cylinder sensors.
http://www.thezcr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12626

jlicrx
02-02-2006, 08:49 AM
if I use a distributor with a cyp built into it, can I ditch the cyp sensor on the exhaust cam ?

the answer to the question is yes - the only problem is that the only distributors that bolts to the head are the DOHC ZC and the 88-89 Integra D16A1 - i still say camshaft timing is off

90blackcrx
02-02-2006, 12:07 PM
He is correct, if you are questioning the OBD-1 cylinder sensor.
Look at this old thread. It explains (with pictures) the difference between OBD-0 and OBD-2 cylinder sensors.
http://www.thezcr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12626

How is he correct? I'm not talking specifically about zc distributors, what about the 90 integra, its built inside.

the answer to the question is yes - the only problem is that the only distributors that bolts to the head are the DOHC ZC and the 88-89 Integra D16A1 - i still say camshaft timing is off

Timing is dead on, checked twice. I redid it to make sure it was fine.

midnight_rex pins are good

Niftythang
02-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Okay, you know there is a cylinder sensor inside the 90 Integra dizzy, but yet your still are using the cylinder sensor on the exhaust cam?

Is this 90 Integra dizzy a OBD-1 or OBD-0?

CRXninja
02-02-2006, 04:13 PM
a 90 integra distributor would be for a b18a motor...its not gonna fit the dohc zc

midnight_rex
02-02-2006, 05:35 PM
just get a 89 integra distributor and install it.

90blackcrx
02-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Okay, you know there is a cylinder sensor inside the 90 Integra dizzy, but yet your still are using the cylinder sensor on the exhaust cam?

Is this 90 Integra dizzy a OBD-1 or OBD-0?

Its obd0, I never thought about wiring it like that.

just get a 89 integra distributor and install it.

a 90 integra distributor would be for a b18a motor...its not gonna fit the dohc zc

Thought they were the same distributor ? So will an 89 fit ?

Niftythang
02-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Yes

90blackcrx
02-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Yes

Yes there the same, or yes it will fit ? Sorry bought I thought 89-90 integra distributors were the same, how come one person says it won't fit, other say it will.

EF9ZC
02-04-2006, 07:23 AM
i believe its 88-89 integra the same cuz 90-93 is the next model

drr86
02-04-2006, 09:16 AM
^^ Correct, the OBD0 DOHC ZC dizzy's model number is TD03U. Do a search on it and the very first link followed by many are all about the 88-89 tegs. The OBD1 dizzy's model number is TD43U and it seems to be DOHC ZC specific. So, just to clear it up, the OBD0 DOHC ZC dizzy is in fact the same as the OBD0 Integras.

Check it out:

http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=686