TheZCR.com Forums  

Go Back   TheZCR.com Forums > Tech Discussions > ZC Discussions

ZC Discussions Having problems? Considering a ZC? Ask it here. Please try to keep posts in this section technical in nature.

» Menu
Home

Arcade
Forums
Gallery
Repair Manuals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

redbarron is an unknown quantity at this point
ZC in a EG

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1995 honda civic eg coupe and I swaped in a DOHC ZC motor. (Twice now first motor had a rod bearing disappear.) Any ways I bought another running one off of Chicago CL. It is now installed and running but I am having trouble dialing in the throttle. Does any one know what throttle body I should be using an which ones are interchangable with the zc manifold?? My car is obd-1 i believe and has a map sensor, the tb on the zc does not have a spot for it??? So I just ran a vacumme line from the top "spout" of zc tb and hooked it up. But this zc tb also has some type of plunger assembly off of the side, which my civic tb did not have, so i just capped off that spout where another hose would get connected. I then used the extra intake manifold spout (Which would connect these two) to hook up my evap sensor. Car seems fine but when it tries to idle it idles very high any help????

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

spoolinzc is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spoolinzc
Re: ZC in a EG

It seem to me you have a obd-0 zc, my obd-1 zc has a map sensore on the TB and i know that a Z6 TB will work on the obd-1 zc's. So if thats the case where you have a obd-1 car with a obd-0 motor your either goin to have to rewire it for obd-0 or get and obd-1 motor somewhere.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 AM
A good handling CRX?

CRX90SI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CRX90SI

You can convert to obd-1 if need be as well.
10 Mazdaspeed3 (DD)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Donated

jlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond repute

the "plunger assembly" on the front side of the throttle body on the OBD0 ZC is the dashpot - it is spring loaded to open the throttle for starting and once the engine starts, the vacuum pulls the throttle plate closed (almost) and the idle should drop - if the vacuum line isn't connected, the spring will hold the throttle plate open and it will idle at about 2000-2500rpm - some EG cars, depending on year and model, had the MAP sensor on the firewall and some are on the top of the throttle body - the OBD0 ZC uses a firewall mounted MAP - if you have a MAP on the firewall, you should be o.k. - if not, you need to install one - the only TB's that fit the OBD0 DOHC ZC intake manifold are the ones from the ZC, D16A6 or 88-89 D16A1 - the vacuum lines on the OBD0 engine should be connected like this:

Last edited by jlicrx; 02-16-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

Thank you guys so much for all the prompt help it is truely appreciated. I will try to "re-T" a vacumme hose, i did the other one when I "T'd" the hoses.

Also what makes my car obd-1 and what makes this motor obd-o? Is one better than the other? And how could I go about making my motor a obd-1 motor, since that is what the eg is?

Any other tips with trying to dial this motor in and have it running nicely would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Donated

jlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond reputejlicrx has a reputation beyond repute

OBD stands for "On Board Diagnostics" - up thru 91, the CRX/Civic were just OBD but to distinguish them from later versions, they are referred to as OBD0 or OBDzero - in 92, they updated the OBD system and the '1' designation is just indicating the 1st revision and is therefore referred to as OBD1 - OBD1 was used from 92-95 - OBD2 was used from 96-up - all of the different OBDs use different ECUs with different harness plug configurations

what ECU are you running? and what distributor are you using? that will determine what OBD it is using - i suspect that it is already running OBD1 but just has the OBD0 intake manifold and throttle body
Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Donated

the only significant differences between the OBD0 and OBD1 DOHC ZCs are the intake manifold/fuel rail/injectors/throttle body and the distributor - the OBD0 engine used a cylinder sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - the OBD1 engine has the cylinder sensor inside the distributor and thus no sensor on the exhaust camshaft - the distributors are OBD specific, meaning that the OBD of the distributor has to match the OBD of the ECU - the OBD1 engine intake manifold, etc. was updated to be similar to the SOHC engines with MAP on the throttle body instead of on the firewall, OBD1 injectors, etc.

this is an OBD0 DOHC ZC (belongs to GaryO):

this is an OBD1 DOHC ZC:

Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

Yes! You are a very savy person. I have already got the special dizzy ($200 from Japan) I think TD-43-U off the top of my head, im not sure though. Yes it is a obd-o motor, becaurs it has the exhaust cam angle sensor. (which is no longer hooked up, thanks to new dizzy)

So what do i do? Do i re-run those vacumme lines like illustrated in the pic below? Do i get a different throttle body?

My car is a 1995 DX Coupe. It has stock ecu/wiring harness connected to the zc. Everything pluged right in so if figured it wold run fine, the only thing that was different was tb, the evap, and dizzy. But like I said I already changed the dizzy, and my map sensor was origionaly located on the tb.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Donated

if you have the OBD0 intake manifold, you would use the vacuum diagram like the picture - none of the throttle bodies with MAP on top will bolt onto the OBD0 intake manifold - just put the MAP on the firewall - go to the junkyard and get one from a 92 DX which was on the firewall

do you have the purge connected? i assume not since it was on the manifold on your DX (i believe) - doesn't affect how it runs

TD43U is the correct OBD1 DOHC ZC distributor

Last edited by jlicrx; 02-16-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Donated

you could eliminate the dashpot on the throttle body if you wanted - look at the picture of the OBD0 ZC - he has no dashpot and has that one vacuum port capped off - i don't know if he is using the purge or not
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

Hi Guys,

So I adjusted the vacumme lines so they matched the ones in the diagram that was provided. The idle seems to be more consistant and is better while revving it up. However it is much higher now, approx 300-500 rpm more. Then at operating temperature it sounds like its ok but keeps changing a little, it is not normal at all (still trying to think of a better way to describe this). I am using my 1995 dx ecu, TD-43-u dizzy, dx wire harness. Any suggestions, tips, anything would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

If anyone knows someone with a zc swap in an EG it would be great to see how they set theirs up. At this point I don't know if I should get a new computer, intake manifold, throttle body? Also am I being unrealistic that a motor made in the 80's will idle ok, being that it's 20+ years old?? I am begining to think that I may be wasting alot of time and money, should I just re-scrap this project again and finally go b series?? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Metal Monkey Fab

malichite is an unknown quantity at this point

I run a ZC in my del sol and it idles just fine. Have you played with the idle screw at all? Is it just idling low or is it idling inconsistantlly? It may have been asked or mentioned already but do you have a check engine light? What ECU are you running?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 PM
A good handling CRX?

CRX90SI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CRX90SI

Want my opinion? Go B and get a gsr. That's what i originally wanted to do in my crx but went with the zc becuase it was a direct bolt in and what not for my first swap. But i crave more power and i don't want to turbo it since it is my dd so that's just my opinion.
10 Mazdaspeed3 (DD)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

Yea I understand why you would have went with the gsr it had amazing power all the way to 8k, I built one. This is more of an attempt to have something that many other people wouldent have. I have started to purchase a bunch of inexpensive turbo parts in hopes of doing my first turbo project. So that was the plan I guess!

As stated previously, I am using a 1995 DX ECU, Wire Harness, a brand new TD-43-U Dizzy. All origional sensors are still hooked up nothing has been pluged or deleted.

Also on the TB screw, good idea but I've already done as much adjusting with that as I can. I lowered it to a point were it wll not hit the plate, so it's loose. This should have no effect on it because my idle is high, not low. But sense we're on this subject I do think that the throttle body needs to close just a little more, but not all the way. Is there a way to rebuild a tb or just purchase a new one? If so which one?

Thanks again.