TheZCR.com Forums  

Go Back   TheZCR.com Forums > General > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Post your idle chit-chat here. Just about anything non-technical goes in here.

» Menu
Home

Arcade
Forums
Gallery
Repair Manuals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

civrex is an unknown quantity at this point
how to roll on rust-oleum!

ROLL ON RUST-OLEUM PAINT!

here is how i did it! there are plenty of diffrent way's to do it but this is what i found best for me. I DO NOT RECCOMEND DOING THIS ON A DECENT CAR OR IF YOU HAVE MONEY FOR A PRO PJ GO AHEAD THIS IS FOR THE PPL ON A TIGHT BUDGET OR DIY TYPE.

alright here is what you need. i got all my stuff from wal-mart. it's been a year since i last did mine and it hold's up very well. i had to do body work so i just touched mine up with two coat's but i just recently did a buddy of mine's car so i will post b4 and after pic's! two can's of gloss black, one spray can of gloss black for all the line's and crack's that you can't get with a roller, 6' foam roller's, mineral spirits, and lot's of sand paper wet or dry 3m is what i used.

1. sand down the whole car till it's all smooth just make sure you get all the clear coat off and it'll be good. you can either tape up like 2' of the window's and light's or just take them out. right now would be a good time to do the inside of the door's engine bay etc... once your done wash all the dust off and wipe the car down with mineral spirits. then break open the paint and stir it. dump it in a bowl or container to mix it in, then dump some mineral spirits in until it's between milk and water you don't want it runny and you dont want it to thick or it'll take forever to dry.

2. when you roll the paint dont press on either side of the roller, or you'll get line's. try to keep the roller flat. i like to start off with the roof so your not leaning on the car. once you roll the whole car my secret is going back over all of it either with a dry new roller or with the one you just had but dont put it in the paint keep it dry and let the weight of the roller lay over the whole car very lightly. let dry for 2-6 hour's before you put another coat on.

3. after the 2nd coat leave it sit overnight then. that's when i wet sand with 400g the next morning i do two coat's a day one in the morning and one in the afternoon. when you wet sand dont press very hard and dont do corner's but if there's any orange peel or line's work them out now. every time you wet sand you want to get any imperfection's out now.
if you dont get all the orange peel or line's out now they will show up on the next two worst! it'll look like sh*t at first but it'll look better as you go!

4. go ahead and put two more on with them same directions but after that wet sand with 600g. two more again and then wet sand with 800g. after you get the first 6 coat's on and your ready to put more on this time mix the paint the same but since you got a good bit on you wanna start putting it on a little thicker so this time when you roll the paint in the tray dont press to much paint out of the roller leave it in there. go ahead and put it on the car just make sure you put it on evenly. put them two on then go ahead and wet sand with like either 1500g or 1000g. make sure you do the last two coat's as good as possible because it will have to stay like that for a week or two.

5. make sure for a glass look you go over the whole car as soon as your done rolling it making it all smooth. some ppl need less some need more, i put 10 on mine depending on how you mix it. i mixed mine pretty thin to keep it all smooth. you can keep putting it on till your happy when your done you have to about a week or two before you can buff/wax it i wetsand with 2000g and then buff then wax.

here's the finished project's before wetsanding and buffing!

and here's my touch up's wet sanded with 2000g

and putting a coat on! you can see the reflection of me rolling it in the car lol.

and here it is waiting for buffing/wax.

ANY ?'S FEEL FREE TO ASK!

Last edited by civrex; 04-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

greddy1387 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how to roll on rust-oleum!

Heyyyy my car lol My coupe is Hella tight i love this Paint Great Right up danny
Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

mmmmBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mmmmBoost

dude that is sum good stuff right there that looks really good ....great job

3/4" ears
4g septum
snakebites
smiley *fell the **** out of my face*
more soon to come
nothin better than gettin stabbed in the face
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Metal Monkey Fab

malichite is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like you forgot to paint the wheels. Their still purple. Maybe something is wrong with your camera and just makes them look purple.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Donated

theidealone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the write-up/pointers. I will post up within the next few weeks with my finished product. Only difference, is I will be rolling the jams with the doors and hatch off of the car, and the fenders and fillers all off of the car.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

sound's good ill be waiting to see some pic's of the finished product if you can post some before and after's and if you have any other tip's feel free to add some!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by malichite View Post
Looks like you forgot to paint the wheels. Their still purple. Maybe something is wrong with your camera and just makes them look purple.
lol that's what i said! i guess it's some kinda queer thing lol. every time i say something about them he say's im a hater lol!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

sierrakilo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sierrakilo99

http://horsepowersports.com/paint-yo...for-under-100/

When I was in school getting my A&P license, one of my instructors in the paint shop teaching us how to repair painted aircraft structures told us about how Ford first started to paint cars and trucks in the early part of this century using paint rollers. This was waaay before spraying became the way of the future in building cars on assembly lines. Then my instructor showed us this guy's website. I thought it was a joke until I saw how nice it looked.

Caveat... its a LOT of work to make it look nice. I just got an AWESOME paint job by a local guy for less than $300... what's your time worth?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Donated

Jyizorz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jyizorz

I am very interested in doing this. My car has 0 rust, but is completely sun burned from being an AZ car till 2004.

Questions to the OP:

Are you spraying the edges every coat as well as rolling?
In the previous post, the link said 7 coats will give you finished product. With your experience, is that accurate?
Approximate total cost?

Thanks man!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

ok on the edge's all you need is like one or two coat's of spraying which ever you perfer when your doing it. the reason why? is because the spray is alot thicker out of the spray can you will be able to tell this when you do it. it'll like clog up your nose and you will fill it on your arm's very sticky lol. spray something else a couple time's first till you find out a good distance to spray it and way! make sure to wet sand also before rolling on them spot's. it really depend's on how you mix it, how thick you roll it on ect.. but i put 10 on mine and 9 on my buddies. and the cost it was around maybe 70 buck's for everything! paint, roller's, tray , tape, mineral spirt's, mixing stick, sand paper ect... any more question's feel free to ask im almost alway's on!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

here's a couple pic's of the final look buffed waxed ect...

Last edited by civrex; 04-02-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Metal Monkey Fab

Your cup holder is supposed to go inside the car
Old 03-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

what? the tow hook lol! that's what it look's like haha. it wasn't really on my list but, my friend ordered a set and got two set's so i got them pretty cheap and said f*** it lol.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Metal Monkey Fab

I just find it funny that the tow hook mounts to the tow hook for the car. A little redundant.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Regular Ol' ZC'er

you mean that's where it's supposed to mount?